As with any program that you start, it takes a couple weeks to get used to the system. After receiving both the frozen food and dry food boxes in the mail, it took me a couple days to get used to the process. For the couple days, I felt like I wasn’t eating very much and what I was eating was really processed that it made me uncomfortable at first. The error on my part was that I didn’t implement their “add-on” suggestions properly with the provided Nutrisystem entrees.
Let me take a step back and talk to you about the materials that I received in the mail. The first box included all the packaged dry food for all courses throughout the day.
Some examples of entries that were eaten this past week include:
Italian Herb Flatbread Pizza
Mexican-Style Tortilla Soup
The frozen box came in a couple days later and honestly, that’s the food that I have enjoyed more. It’s well worth the increase in price. The dry ice was kind of strange, but you have to keep it cold somehow.
Here is an example of an entree from the Chef Inspired selection.
Chef’s Table™ Orzo, Shrimp and Lobster Langostino
All in all, I thought all of the dishes were great, and with the Daily Planner, the Nutrisystem SmartPhone App, and MyFitness Pal Smartphone App, I slowly got the hang of it. Even though I have some weight to lose, I have traditionally been a pretty clean eater, and so with the known fact that Nutrisystem is so processed, it was tough for me at first to enjoy it. But as I’m getting into the program, I’m learning the fundamentals about Nutrisystem are not about the prepackaged meals that come in the mail, but a lifestyle choice that focuses on portion sizes and understanding what you should eat and when you should eat it.
Here are some things that I’m really paying attention to during this program:
- Portion Sizes: Each of the Nutrisystem entrees ranges from 150-250 calories. This is not enough to be considered a meal in my opinion, but with the addition of a Protein Drink, Power Fuel, or Smart Carb, it works. They focus on 5-6 portions per day, and if you’re tried dieting before, this is pretty common knowledge and one of the toughest things to do.
- PowerFuel: They recommend a PowerFuel with each of the “meals” or “portions.”
- Nutrisystem’s definition is “a food category that features more protein-based foods and includes meat, fish, dairy, and nuts. A lot of times I just eat a hard boiled egg or Sargento’s string cheese. Sometimes I’ll drink a Protein Drink.
- SmartCarbs: They recommend SmartCarbs with Lunch and Dinner. Some examples include: medium fruit, slice of whole grain bread, or 1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta. They define Smart Carbs as “a food group that includes fruit, grains, starchy vegetables, and low-Gl carbs. To me, this is what helps my hunger, because when you’re trying to lose weight, you will be hungry.
- Vegetables: They recommend taking 4 servings of vegetables per day. With each meal, I try to eat a small salad such as spinach and carrots with some fat-free dressing.
- Water: There’s a lot of sodium in things like bread and also the Nutrisystem items. So it’s extremely important that you drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. After all, most of the time, when we think we’re hungry, we’re actually thirsty.
- My Daily 3: The personalised activity portion of your program, which focuses on you getting three 10 minute increments of activity each day. I didn’t do well last week with this, but it is important for both your mental and physical health that you get some exercise every day.
TODAY’S WEIGHT: 202.4 (Weight Loss 1.2 lbs)
What I Did Well:
- Routine: I started to establish a routine of eating Nutrisystem products as well as following their guidance of when to eat SmartCarbs and PowerFuels, which are essential to your success.
- Food Log: Logging your food is a must for your success. Download both the Nutrisystem app and MyFitness Pal app when you first begin. You will be surprised by how little or much you eat and when doing this, be honest with yourself. Honestly be brutal. Log everything.
- Water: I drank a lot of water and it really helped me feel the difference between feeling hungry and thirsty.
Where I Need Improvement:
- Decrease Alcohol Intake: I had alcoholic beverages 4-5 times last week.
- Vitamins/Fish Oil: I need to start taking my fish oil and vitamins on a daily basis.
- Exercise: I did not exercise last week, but that’s already changed as I exercised for an hour today.
Thanks for staying up to date with me. If you want to join in on the Nutrisystem review journey with me, click here to place your first order today. If not, no worries! This is a review site. So I do make compensation if you decide to purchase through my link. Hey, I have to pay the bills somehow!